< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.timothygoddard.com/blog" /> The Flag of the World

The Flag of the World

-G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

This here blog is a glimpse or two or three at the condition of the 'fortress of our family' through the eyes Timothy Goddard, a Christian writer with an unhealthy interest in politics living in the Puget Sound area.

Links open new windows
Support Iranian Students Iraqi Democracy graphic
 

Buy my book!

Go to the new and improved Flag of the World!

Thursday, March 20, 2003

 

Helicopters dropping like flies
Perhaps I'm counting wrong... but did three helicopters crash today? An MH-53 "Pave Low" helicopter crashes and has to be destroyed in Iraq. An Apache copter makes a hard landing in Iraq . Then, most tragically, 16 American and British soldiers were killed when their CH-46 Sea Knight went down in Kuwait. May they rest in peace.

But for those of us still on the earth, this is insane. Three? In one day? There is something seriously wrong, and I think it's got something to do with the unstable nature of helicopters. I'm far from being an expert in how helicopters work, but it seems to me that relying on thin, free hanging blades rotating at impossibly high speeds to keep people alive is a rather risky component when you're in such an unpredictable situation as warfare. If we don't need helicopters--and I don't think we do, not many, at least--then by all means, let's not use them, or at least cut their use to the bare essentials. But, perhaps I'm completely off base here, and it's just that the funding of helicopters has been overly slack recently. I have no idea, but I don't like losing three helicopters and 16 soldiers in one day if it can be at all avoided. I don't like it one bit.
Agree, disagree, have more information on the topic? Please, feel free to leave a comment. No profanity!
Comments:

Post a Comment