< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.timothygoddard.com/blog" /> The Flag of the World

The Flag of the World

-G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

This here blog is a glimpse or two or three at the condition of the 'fortress of our family' through the eyes Timothy Goddard, a Christian writer with an unhealthy interest in politics living in the Puget Sound area.

Links open new windows
Support Iranian Students Iraqi Democracy graphic
 

Buy my book!

Go to the new and improved Flag of the World!

Sunday, March 09, 2003

 

More on Flanders
On a whim, I sent an email to Mark Pinksy, author of The Gospel According to the Simpsons (a book I haven't so much read, as osmosed from my roommate last year) to see what he thought of "the Flanders incident" I blogged about last week. Unfortunately (and perhaps ironically) he has not seen the episode yet (he was out of town when it was on, and apparently the tape got stuck in the VCR), but will give me his thoughts when he does. He did have this to say, though:
As a person who writes about religion -- most of it evangelical Christianity -- I am aware that people sometimes fall shortof their own ideals and standards. That is what temptation and sin are all about. Ned struggled, sincerely, then failed, by his lights and those of many viewers. From my interviews with Simpsons writers, I know that they hold Ned in deep affection, and I do not think this portrayal was designed to undermine him as a faithful person. When I finish the ep I'll try to get back to you with more. Remind me in about a week.

That I will, Mark, that I will. The problem I had with the episode was not so much that he failed, but that he never seemed to recognize that he failed, as if his entire morality shifted overnight. It did seem like it undermined him as a faithful person--and therefore, as a character. That's disheartening as both a Christian and as a Simpsons fan.
Agree, disagree, have more information on the topic? Please, feel free to leave a comment. No profanity!
Comments:

Post a Comment