< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.timothygoddard.com/blog" /> The Flag of the World

The Flag of the World

-G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

This here blog is a glimpse or two or three at the condition of the 'fortress of our family' through the eyes Timothy Goddard, a Christian writer with an unhealthy interest in politics living in the Puget Sound area.

Links open new windows
Support Iranian Students Iraqi Democracy graphic
 

Buy my book!

Go to the new and improved Flag of the World!

Wednesday, March 05, 2003

 

More protests, now more respectful
There was yet another protest outside chapel today--this time much more respectful, thanks no doubt to the insertion of professors into the mix. It still, no doubt, drove more of a wedge between the protestors and those who disagree, or who haven't made up their mind.
This was also more respectful in the large number of signs requesting that we "Pray for Peace." I'm all for that--but peace at what price? "Pray for a Just Peace," perhaps would be better, or "Pray for Lasting Peace." I would prefer "Pray for Iraq," but I digress. Another sign insisted "Love Bush, Love Saddam" and something about peace. Those are worthy things to do--but I asked him later why it mentioned nothing about the Iraqi people. There wasn't room, apparently. There's room to ask us to love a bloodthirsty dictator, but not the people he's oppressing? "That seems wrong to me," I told him.
Tommorow evening is a forum on the war. I don't know if I want to go. It seems so very pointless, and I am very sure I'll be outnumbered. I'm easily one of the most outspoken proponents of military force at this school, and no one contacted me about it, which leads me to believe that there will be quite a few anti-liberation types there, with very few pro-liberation voices--and I don't really feel like being the lone voice of reason. We'll see. The paper comes out either today or tommorow, and my column focuses on the protests, so I'll have my say then, at least.
UPDATE: Well, scratch that. I just got an email from the head of College Republicans here at Bethel (largest CR club in Minnesota!), who also happens to be the newly elected Chairman of the Minnesota CR's, saying that the outgoing State Chairman, a Bethel senior, is on the 'Bush' side of the panel. He's a much more sensible choice than I could ever be, of course. I suppose there's more to a panel than "outspokeness." It asked for us all to show up--and I think I will. Armed with questions like "What do you think the reports of Saddam killing a weapons engineer to avoid him leaking information to the inspectors says about their effectiveness?"
Agree, disagree, have more information on the topic? Please, feel free to leave a comment. No profanity!
Comments:

Post a Comment