< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.timothygoddard.com/blog" /> The Flag of the World

The Flag of the World

-G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

This here blog is a glimpse or two or three at the condition of the 'fortress of our family' through the eyes Timothy Goddard, a Christian writer with an unhealthy interest in politics living in the Puget Sound area.

Links open new windows
Support Iranian Students Iraqi Democracy graphic
 

Buy my book!

Go to the new and improved Flag of the World!

Friday, March 21, 2003

 

Wow.
Well, I'm feeling a little shocked and awed, myself. I hope Salam is ok, and, more selfishly, that he still has Internet access after this. From the camera shots, the bombings looked remarkably well targeted, and appeared to be focused on the southern part of the city, which is one big "presidential palace" according to Salam. That's along the lines of my hopes. I couldn't tell, of course, whether they were attacking the military outside Baghdad at all. Perhaps they're waiting on that, hoping to force capitulation without going after lines of soldiers, and focusing on the top. I hope it works.

I tried explaining to a far-lefty friend of mine the difference between "Shock and Awe" and Blitzkreig. The idea behind Blitzkreig is that it's fast--lightning fast--if this were Blitzkreig, we'd be sending tanks into Baghdad right now. Blitzkreig is designed to quickly and utterly physically dominate the enemy making them submit (or die) by force. Shock and Awe, as I understand it, is designed to quickly and utterly psychologically dominate the enemy, making them submit by a show of force--or, put another way, Shock and Awe is doing lots of damage very quickly so as to force surrender, rather then doing lots of damage very quickly so as to do a lot of damage and make the next bit of damage that we do go more swiftly. But don't take my word for it--read the book. Or not. I haven't. Perhaps I should.
Agree, disagree, have more information on the topic? Please, feel free to leave a comment. No profanity!
Comments:

Post a Comment