< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.timothygoddard.com/blog" /> The Flag of the World

The Flag of the World

-G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

This here blog is a glimpse or two or three at the condition of the 'fortress of our family' through the eyes Timothy Goddard, a Christian writer with an unhealthy interest in politics living in the Puget Sound area.

Links open new windows
Support Iranian Students Iraqi Democracy graphic
 

Buy my book!

Go to the new and improved Flag of the World!

Thursday, April 03, 2003

 

Israel and Palestine
I've been ambivalent over the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. While I certainly sympathize with Israel in their battle against the terrorists, they really have done a great deal to exacerbate the situation. Over the past couple months, Orrin Judd has been slowly convincing me that the only viable answer (viable, not flawless) is for the Palestinians to get their own state, and for Israel to impose it. Today, he's put forth his most in depth and well spoken argument for it, and I think everyone should go read it. Excerpt:
This course of action has numerous advantages: first, the element of surprise, that will shake up a region and a world already on edge, and in need of a good shake; second, the rights of Palestinians, or lack of such, will no longer be an Israeli responsibility; third, Israel will regain the moral high ground, so that when folks complain, as they will, about the boundaries extending a quarter mile here or there, Israel can just say: "We made them a nation and you want to quibble about a few random acres?"; fourth, it will, hopefully, turn Palestinian violence inwards, as the main struggle becomes not whether there'll be a state but who will run it...

A question that has been asked of me when I have discussed this with those more sympathetic to Israel is, "what about the Israelis living in the new state?" He discusses that, and admits that it is a real drawback--though not one worse than the current situation. However, the question asked of me when I have discussed it with those sympathetic to the Palestinians is, "what about the Palestinians living in Israel?" He doesn't discuss that, but I've asked him about it in the comments, and I'll let you know what he says.
EDIT: As I suspected, Orrin suggests that they will have to have full rights as Israeli citizens, which, of course, I am in favor of. Again though, those I have discussed this with on the Palestinian side seem skeptical that that will ever happen. Are they right? I have no idea.
Agree, disagree, have more information on the topic? Please, feel free to leave a comment. No profanity!
Comments:

Post a Comment