< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.timothygoddard.com/blog" /> The Flag of the World

The Flag of the World

-G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

This here blog is a glimpse or two or three at the condition of the 'fortress of our family' through the eyes Timothy Goddard, a Christian writer with an unhealthy interest in politics living in the Puget Sound area.

Links open new windows
Support Iranian Students Iraqi Democracy graphic
 

Buy my book!

Go to the new and improved Flag of the World!

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

 

Bumperskicker follies
One of the best and worst parts of my new job is that it is in the Queen Anne neighborhood of Seattle. Just a couple blocks from the Seattle Center, with a remarkable view of the Puget Sound, Queen Anne is also a raving liberal hotbed. This does allow me the entertainment of seeing truly stupid bumperstickers every day. I think I may make this a semi-regular feature. Here are a couple I saw today:

got rights? Get it? Like "got milk?", but about rights! It's so clever! And woefully ineffective. Any sensible person who sees this bumpersticker will take a moment, think to themselves and say, "why, yes! I do! How wonderful!" The milk campaign was clever because it made people think, "man, I could go for some milk." No American is going to think "man, I sure could use some rights right now," because no one's rights are being trampled. Unless you have a very bizarre view of rights, which many of these people do. But one second, I need to get some milk. Ok, back.

Ethnic profiling: guilty until proven innocent And therefore it's bad, because everyone knows we're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. That's how our judicial system works, see? And if you're profiling people based on race, then you're doing it the other way around, and that's the opposite the way our judicial system is supposed to work. What's that? Racial profiling has nothing to do with our judicial system because the police aren't part of the judicial branchof government? Of course they are! They arrest people and stuff, therefore they're a part of the--the executive branch? That doesn't make any sense. Seperation of powers? Yeah, I remember reading about that in fourth grade, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with my incredibly insightful bumpersticker.
Agree, disagree, have more information on the topic? Please, feel free to leave a comment. No profanity!
Comments:

Post a Comment