< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.timothygoddard.com/blog" /> The Flag of the World

The Flag of the World

-G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

This here blog is a glimpse or two or three at the condition of the 'fortress of our family' through the eyes Timothy Goddard, a Christian writer with an unhealthy interest in politics living in the Puget Sound area.

Links open new windows
Support Iranian Students Iraqi Democracy graphic
 

Buy my book!

Go to the new and improved Flag of the World!

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

 

Short shots
I'm hoping to get back into the swing of blog-things soon, though I still don't have a job. To kick things off, I'm going to try to catch up with my thoughts on some of the recent major news stories.

The death of Ronald Reagan: I wasn't really conscious during his years in office, and so Reagan is something of a giant to me, in the way that all great historical figures are. But he is history that is tantalizingly close, but just out of reach. He's also history around whom the dust has not yet settled. But it will, and I have no doubt of the final verdict on the man who did more than any other individual to raise America up out of the mire of the 70's, and with it the world from the mire of Communism.

The transit of Venus: Whoop-dee-freakin-doo. I'm sorry, I'm sure it's cool, but you have to understand that us West Coasters are legitimately annoyed at not getting a piece of the most ballyhooed astronomical event since Hale-Bopp.

The new Iraqi government: So, Bush was caving to the UN by letting Brahimi pick the government? But then the Governing Council picked it instead, and Bush gets his way anyway. Deucedly clever, that idiot Bush.

The UN resolution in support of the new Iraqi government: So France and China wanted to give the new government veto power over US troop actions. The US said no deal. So the "compromise" was that the US got its way and the resolution passed unanimously. Deucedly clever, that idiot Bush.

Iraq taking control of its own oil supplies: My roommate at the time of the war was originally from Hong Kong via Canada, and he bought the whole "blood for oil" thing hook line and sinker. I repeatedly tried to show him that that idea was preposterous, but he would have none of it. "After the war, if the US gives Iraq control of the oil, then I will believe you," he said. As of this week, I've officially won that argument.

284,000 new jobs in May: And if May is anything like March and April, that number will be revised upwards. Wooo! Hopefully, I'll a part of another massive amount of jobs added in June...
Agree, disagree, have more information on the topic? Please, feel free to leave a comment. No profanity!
Comments:

Post a Comment