< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.timothygoddard.com/blog" /> The Flag of the World

The Flag of the World

-G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

This here blog is a glimpse or two or three at the condition of the 'fortress of our family' through the eyes Timothy Goddard, a Christian writer with an unhealthy interest in politics living in the Puget Sound area.

Links open new windows
Support Iranian Students Iraqi Democracy graphic
 

Buy my book!

Go to the new and improved Flag of the World!

Monday, July 12, 2004

 
Ideological regionalism
There's got to be a more inflammatory term for it than that--it's like racism, but geographical, and somehow it's become mildly acceptable in both wings of political discourse. It's the disparaging and wishing of harm on entire regions based on their political leanings. Both the right and the left are guilty of it, and it's getting worse. One of the most eregious examples of this was when Michael Moore asked the terrorists why they attacked New York, instead of some place that voted for him. You see it all the time in the portrayal of southern conservatives as "redneck bible-thumpers," and of San Fransiscan liberals as gay hippie potsmokers. I'm guilty of it myself on occasion. But now Michelle Malkin has gone a bit further, claiming that "Seattle hates America." Of course it's hyperbolic. But the fact is that I and the large majority of other Seattle-area natives don't hate America, even if they are leftists. I don't mind the hyperbole too much, but I do mind commenters who wished Seattle was the victim of a nuclear attack, or that it falls into the ocean in the next earthquake, or bloggers who place Seattle as a whole in the "other" America.

Seattle has its problems, obviously. But there are those of us here trying to change those problems, and it doesn't help to know that a couple of my fellow conservatives apparently want me dead for living too close to Fremont. It's probably paranoia pure and simple for me to worry about ending up like Stonewall Jackson in a Red-Blue Civil War, torn between my beliefs and my home, but that thought's in the back of my mind. Please, everyone, lets show some civility in this discourse. Just a little. Enough to not want my home to fall into the ocean, ok?
Agree, disagree, have more information on the topic? Please, feel free to leave a comment. No profanity!
Comments:

How about if we let seattle just float around in the ocean a bit maybe as a colony or something? How is that for elevating the discourse?
 
Post a Comment